Monday, June 14, 2010

To your Glory and the Glory of Him on Earth...

Hey folks. AmateurDorn here.

MikeD has put together this blog, and as he has said, this is a place for motivation. For the past year that I have been painting minis, I've often felt that I'd like to write about my experiences, post pics of my Fists, and share what I've learned with others. This seemed like the perfect place to do this, and I'm happy to be able to contribute. A bit about how I got into this hobby...

Around this time last year, I picked up the Battle for Skull Pass, having an unnatural obsession with dwarfs.
No....dwarfs.

I had never played a tabletop game before, or painted a miniature, but I had seen the work that a few of my friends had done years earlier. Over the next few weeks, I would occasionally paint some of the models, frustrated at my lack of skill. Who liked this stuff, anyway? These tiny dudes were way too detailed. The brush that this thing came with was terrible and the paints expensive. The gray, dismembered corpses of Skull Pass gathered dust on my coffee table, and the battle had never even begun.

A few months later...

I went on a little trip out of town to visit a friend of mine. It was Saturday night, we were drunk, and the conversation eventually became a heated discussion about who could kick who's ass. You know what I'm talking about. Schwarzenegger versus Worf... A Jedi versus Lo Pan... A pack of koalas on PCP versus Dog the bounty hunter...

"The Space Marines...", my friend mentioned. "Space marines", I said. "Sure, I guess..."

"No, I mean the freaking Space Marines..."

He then began to tell me about the Space Marines. About the Primarchs and the Emperor. The Horus Heresy and the Chapters and the Imperium of Man, and like a wide-eyed little child full of rum and Coke, I devoured every bit of it. This is what I needed. This awesome world of bolters and battle barges and lightning claws was the motivation I needed to try this hobby again.

When I got home a few days later, I stopped back at the hobby store and picked up some books: Codex: Space Marines, and Horus Rising. A month and three more novels later, I bought a Tactical squad and some new brushes and I've been painting the Imperial Fists ever since. I'm a complete lore whore and every time I read a story or see a pic of these awesome giants in yellow (or any color) power armor, punching face in the Name of the Emperor, I urgently need to complete my army. And there you have it.

Over the course of this blog, I'll share with you some of my favorite tabletop gaming things, stuff about the Fists, my personal recipe for yellow, pics of my army, and pics of other people's armies that inspire me to keep working and improve my painting. I hope that my enthusiasm will help you with your current army, start a new one, or inspire you to try something new and any feedback I get will certainly help me with the same.

I hope you all enjoy yourselves here and keeping checking back with us for new stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...