Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Thing a Day: 3/8 - 3/15 I've Been a Busy Bee!!

Thing a Day:  3/8 - 3/15 I've Been a Busy Bee!!

Hello loyal readers.  MikeD here again to give you a quick update and to share some of my recent work.  This time I've been painting up my JP ASM, plotting my Traitor Guard, and I've been slapping together the last few units for a change to my DoA JP list.  More after the jump...

With the weather getting nicer I will be sacrificing my weekends for the fam and  Mother Nature, so I've been trying to pace myself during the week to make up for less time on the weekends.  For any of you living in the South East United States, you know what I've been talking about.  This last week has been absolutely gorgeous.

Here's what I've been up to outside of visiting Local Theme Parks and Concerts:

Press Molding and bringing out the Bling
Just like another blogger, Big D of Hogs of War, I too ran across a problem with integrating replacement Storm Shields for my TH/SS Termies.  I ordered some replacement shields from Scibor  and while they are fantastic scuplts, and a great addiiton to my Angels, they do not have the same hand/connection point the regular Storm Shields have.  Thus I had the exact same problem that Big D solved here.   So I promptly went to my local Michaels looking for the mold product.

Quick Cheap nerd tip:  Subscribe online to All of the local craft stores newsletters.  In Orlando I'm lucky to have Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and JoAnnes, as national chains close by, not to mention the mom and pops.  All of thier weekly newsletters -email or otherwise- Usually have a 30% to 50% off of one item style coupon.  And luckly, Michaels and JoAnnes take competitors coupons! 

So I was able to find an identical product, Amazing Mold Putty from Alumilite.  Retailed for 19.95, bought for 9.99 with my 50% off coupon.

I promptly got home and gave it a try.

It turns out this product starts to cure and becomes hard to use within about 5 minutes, so if you don't have it on your original piece within 2 minutes of fully mixing, you will find it pretty much wasted.  Make sure you measure your amounts correctly and mix fast.  Again, with the amount you need to mold such a small piece, like the one I did, it's not a crime to experiment with other complex shapes as your 10 dollar investment really will go a long way.

Bling and Nipples!
Yes, my pretty man boys are assembled and ready to hit the table.  I will hopefully try them out for the first time in tonights game (3/15/11).

Of course, it wouldn't be a Mike D model without the magnetized options.  For any of you who own some Sanguinary guard, you'll notice that there are two models in the kit that have 2 handed grips on weapons, so with those I just left them permanently guled (GASP!) standard kit with angelus boltguns.  The other three are fully magnetized for the four options:  Angelus Boltgun, Infernus Pistol, Power Fist, and a Banner.  This leaves my 10 man pile with the last 6 magnetized and good to go.  I want to eventually get 10 more Sang Guard to field the new Apoc formation Dante's Sanguine Host one day.  Check out Jawaballs' post on them here.

Last, but not least:

He's Painting!
Here is the current update from the painting bench:

My 10 ASM basecoated and all the hard work done.  Now only the Metals and details remain.  Hopefully done by next weekend. (no pics..sorry)

With this batch, I am working on my first Librarian.  I am really trying to work on my color blends and details with this guy, so please feel free to critique away and give suggestions and observations.  As always, the crappy photo caveat applies.  Lacking a real camera, I've been taking all my shots with my Nexus Phone, so have some mercy on photo skills.

So there we have it.  A busy bee and long winded update.  Please feel free to comment or ask questions about anything I post up.

Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...